Thursday, July 28, 2005

Dorothy had to walk too...


OK, I ran. 6.2 miles. It wasn't pretty at all. It was peeing down rain and thundering but I went anyway. I said I wouldn't bail and I didn't. There was walking and some cursing and then some more walking and some running thrown in there for good measure...I didn't time it but I think by the end I had made peace with the fact that I was doing it to satisfy my mental fitness rather than my physical fitness needs. And when it was over, I didn't feel great but I did feel better. And when I got up to swim this morning, I felt even better still. Did a timed 15 minute swim and was on target - 850 yards which is only 15 yards short of my PR distance for 15 minutes...and then I did the whole Masters practice AND led the lane (Oh, and I was the only one that showed up early to do the timed swim too...so that made me feel a little more studly than I did yesterday). And I think now I've got the required endorfins and serotonin working for me so I feel better still. I'd say I'm almost back on track...pretending does work, as I knew it would...maybe I'll go for a bike ride this afternoon and top the last 36 hours off with an exclamation mark rather than a comma... heh...

I think I lose myself when I don't train...I don't really like who I am. I NEED to feel like an athlete to feel my best, and when I blow off a workout, that's one less workout toward being the athlete and person I want to be. We either take a risk and move toward what we want, or we play it safe and choose comfort. Dorothy could have stayed in Munchkinland...curled right up in one of those big flower beds with lollipops and pretty shoes. It's SO easy for me to choose comfort but that's not helping me move toward what I want. At all. Today is better. I think I will ride too...momentum breeds momentum. Moving is good. The Emerald City is just over the next hill...and I don't even have a witch after me!

2 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

GOOD JOB!

9:03 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Tracy said...

Hey! You covered the distance, that's what counts! Way to go! I love the Wizard of Oz thing, too. Sometimes those big scary voices really are coming from a skinny little old man behind the curtain in our head. You're going to kick some ass this year ;)

11:19 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home