Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Move. Just Move.


The most effective way to do it, is to do it. -Amelia Earhart

I'd like to think that Amelia spearheaded Nike's ad campaign. JUST DO IT. It's so simple and so brilliant and so often what I need to hear. I think I've spent a good amount of time in my life trying to figure out how to get out of just doing it...or how to get it done without really doing it. Lame a$$, half-a$$ effort.

NO COMPLACENCY!!

I don't want to go for a run today. But I'm going to. I'm writing those words down right here so that you all will read them and want to know about the run I went on when I report back tomorrow. It makes me more accountable. Someone knows that I was planning it and someone will know if I bail. I'm not bailing, just so you know...

See, the thing is with my training and my mental health...it's all an interconnected cycle. And it can be a very positive cycle that builds on itself and makes me stronger and happier and healthier and faster...brain chemicals increase, I feel good, I want to train more, I feel even better so I keep training...or it can be a downward spiral into the depths of the doldrums that cripples me...I don't feel like training 'cause I'm tired or bored or the weather sucks so I sit on the couch and cut myself some slack - after all I did a big workout the day before - but then there's not enough serotonin or endorphins, and then I feel even worse because not only did I not get the biochemicals going, I beat up on myself for not getting off my butt and JUST DOING IT. Go through the motions and the rest will follow. What do they say in 12 step programs?..."act as if..." Sometimes you've just got to pretend...

So today I'm still in vacation mode and I still don't want to train. I'm reasonably sure that I'm not overtrained...I feel similar when I overtrain - anxious, annoyed, tired, unreasonably hungry, apathetic and unmotivated. But this isn't overtrained, it's just plain "I don't feel like it." And I KNOW that I'll feel better and get thru these blues if I can just get out there and pretend I like it for a few days and I WILL start loving it again. It's the same every time - I know myself well enough to know that I can muscle my way through it to the other side. It's just getting started again that trips me up.

So I'll take Ms. Earhart's words to heart...the most effective way is to just do it. Fire up the iPod, lace up the running shoes, I'm headed out...like it or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

Cool. I really enjoyed this post. We must be related somehow. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have started and stopped training to get into shape, to compete, whatever. I do great for a while, then miss a day, then two and so on and so on and....

I made a commmitment to myself to follow my marathon plan to the "T". I am going to do it this time. I will chuck this spare tire around my mid-section off of a cliff. I will finish my marathon and I will finish it in the time I allot myself! Having a plan to follow is so much better that just waking up thinking, "I should workout today...what do I feel like doing?". 99 out of 100 times, I "feel" like going back to bed!!!

NO MORE!

5:35 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Chris said...

Wow. Thanks for the post! You basically describe my season and off-season to a "T".

I hope you had a great run out there yesterday! You'd better have something to report back on today! :)

6:31 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Thanks guys. It really helps to know there are folks out there that can relate...

7:40 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home