Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sunday Evening Ride


Yes, I realize it's Wednesday. You see, I'm in the process of moving and I can't find anything (like the camera cord would be helpful)...and posting at work is tough because work is getting busier as my co-workers take vacations...it's tricky when there are only four of us in the company as production drops off by 25% when one person is gone. Alas, only now have I managed to find the cord, get my pictures off my camera and steal a brief moment to show you...

Anyway, on Sunday after a long day of moving all the big heavy stuff (we've vowed that we're not allowed to move again until we can afford movers to do it for us), I tossed Amelia in the car and zoomed off to ride one of my favorite routes along the Connecticut River. I live in a border town (VT/NH) so I have unlimited options for rides up and down the scenic Connecticut...it's great because the road has gently rolling hills with beautiful views of the river and mountains and a few good climbs and downhills too...and if you venture either East or West away from the river, you can climb forever out of the river basin (I don't do this very often but it's in my near future plans to do it more...) and you're very quickly heading into the foothills of the White Mountains to the east or the Green Mountains to the west. Good training country!! The other great thing is that Route 10 travels the edge of the river in NH and Route 5 travels the edge in VT and there are bridges about every 10-15 miles...SO, you can do a 20 mile loop (up one side, bridge, down the other side, bridge), a 40 mile loop, a 60 mile loop...you get the idea...and there are also lots of side routes that can add or subract mileage for you if you need to bail. AND the traffic isn't too bad either...It's riding bliss and I plan to take advantage of as much of August and September riding as possible.

So on Sunday I took my camera and snapped a few pics of the countryside...and my new house is also on this route so I stopped there and took some house shots too... enjoy!! (Bear with me, i don't know how to format captions yet... heh...)


Here's the bridge where I crossed from NH into VT. When my aunt was a counselor at camp (the same camp I also went to and why I've ended up living up here), she and a few others got a little tanked and actually walked up and over the bridge...at least that's the legend...





Can you imagine going up and over??




The view north from the bridge...




The Fairlee Diner..."Only two places to eat great food: The Fairlee Diner and home." read the bumper stickers....




The new house from the front...there's a great big screened in porch!




House from the back...notice the TV antenna. No, you're right, it's not an optical illusion, it is at least as tall as the house is tall. We're thinking maybe we'll operate our own broadcasting network but rumor has it that it'll only transmit to one channel anyway...plus the satellite dish on the garage seems to work pretty well... The antenna will come down next summer when the new roof goes on... thankfully.




The garage - we believe it was built to house Model-T Fords in the 1920's...now it'll be home to all the gardening equipment. (Oh, and that's Amelia too...)





The apple tree and back yard (in the distance). We can't stand mowing so we'll make the garden out back huge. Wait...we can't stand weeding either. Ughh...the joys of home ownership!!



On the way south down the eastern side of the river, I dropped into my aerobars and enjoyed watching my new bike computer prove to me that I'm much faster in that position. I didn't take too many more pictures but had to stop and snap this one of a huge cornfield...it's not Nebraska but still impressive in my opinion...

More soon!

4 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

Beautiful...I would *LOVE* to live in the country like that...you are sooo lucky!!!!

8:48 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger :) said...

Wow, awesome photos, awesome bike, awesome house and property...what more could you ask for?

I am happy things at the house are working out! I love your house. Enjoy it and all the work that goes along with it.

10:58 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Oldman said...

great looking house...nice pics. it looks like you have some nice roads to ride on.

11:24 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger TriDaddy said...

Hey... very awesome pics! I love posts like this!

1:21 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home