Friday, November 18, 2005

Kick Ass Practice


Check out Kaitlin Sandeno's freestyle catch. Similar to Karlyn Pipes-Neilson's in how she's holding the water. Pure beauty.

Coach served up some kind of a practice yesterday. Holy moly. I was dying!! It felt good though. Well, it felt good after I stopped seeing little green men on the bottom of the pool. Sheesh!! I think the extra day IS really what's making a difference. After I thought about it, I realized that this summer when I was swimming really well I was also doing an extra open water swim day. So it's all good. I'm really looking forward to the meet although I'm trying not to obsess about it. Weasel Boy is obsessed. Which is good because now there's no chance that either of us will bail. Excellent.

So yesterday I was able to hold the 4x100s at about a 1:36 which is FAST for me. We were getting good rest - like :30-:45 seconds in between but I was swimming at about 80% effort so I needed it. But just a few short months ago I couldn't hold a 1:40 over 4 100s so that's progress. I'm not usually hung up on my times but a few seconds feels like a lot right now. Now I have to make my flip turns happen. In the three turns of a 100, I can do the first turn but by the time I get to the second wall, I'm dying for air and need that extra breath at the wall that comes with an open turn. By the third turn, there's no way I can pull it off. Not sure what turns I'm going to do at the meet but I guess I better figure it out. Nothing worse than panicking as you're heading into the wall and realizing you're too close to flip but that's what you were planning on so you end up coming to a complete stop. UGH. nightmare. We're swimming on Sunday this weekend so perhaps I'll focus my practice on turns. And starts...

There are donuts in the office this moring. I want one. But I'm declaring right now that I will not have one. For I am Triathlete Girl and I don't need donuts to train. No siree, I do not. I will not. (Someone please check in with me in the next two hours to be sure that I do not. Pleeeeeaaaase... ;)

7 Comments:

Blogger E-Dub said...

Spence, I will hold you accountable if you will do the same for me. Fortunately, there are no donuts here this morning to tempt me.

Great job on the swim workout... I need to work on my flip-turns too. I justify not doing them, because in a lake swim there are no flip-turns. :-)

Avert your eyes (and nose [I just love the smell]) from those evil and destructive donuts!

11:30 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Phew!! Thanks man. I was starting to get the urge. Just pulled out my hummus and cucumbers for a pre-lunch snack...then it's onto the half turkey sandwich on multigrain bread. NO DONUTS!!! Folks in the office are ordering Chinese food today too. UGH... I will not give in, i will not give in, i will not give in... ;)

11:53 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger E-Dub said...

OMG... chinese food is such a vice! Stand strong, Spence! Your Lunch and pre-lunch sounds fabulous. Stand strong.

If you have to, 'go home sick'. ;-)

12:13 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Great photo! Keep 'em coming! I don't think my arm bends like that... or is it all rotation? Sigh. Back to the pool this week!

5:09 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Bolder said...

as Nancy would say, donuts are the emissary of the devil!

again, Kaitlin's head position gawgeous, and you can see she is about to pull a ton 'o water.

thanks for the pic.

11:52 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger tri-mama said...

So that is what your hands do! I need to wait until after the holidays to go back to training with a coach, but I've been wondering what that part of the stroke should look like-

Hope you didn't succumb to the doughnuts....just visualize them like lead weights on your hips sinking you down as you swim....

11:26 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Cliff said...

No donuts ;)

Yesterday after my 10 K race, i went to KFC and want to get some fried chicken.

I figure I deserve some junk food for the hard work. I went in for a few minutes. Then the pictures on the menu sickens me. I realize this is only the beginning of my training season and I need the right fuel.

So I walk back out without a thought of junk food.

12:42 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home