Friday, February 17, 2006

Certified Torture Device


Yep. There it is. My best friend and worst enemy. It will make me strong, fast, fit...but it will do it by trying to crush me.

I'm not sure why but for the past few years, I've gotten away from spinning until February rolls around...In the spring, when it gets warm, I head outside and stay there until the snow flies and then I just don't feel like spinning until I come back to it right around now...The first spin class back is always a doozy and this one was no exception. It was a noon class with my favorite instructor who is a whiz with her iPod and designs all of her classes to follow musical mixes that coincide with whatever she's got planned for us, down to the minute. And it's ALL my favorite music - I've actually never met anyone who has the EXACT SAME TASTE in music as I do but she does. Crazy. Today was intervals and I got my ass kicked. The thing is, my aerobic capacity is great because of all the swimming but my cycling legs are still hibernating. I've only really done 1 half hour session on my trainer - mostly because 1.) I hate it, 2.) it's in the dark, ugly basement with no entertainment (although the recent Get your Geek On Podcasts have helped on that front) and 3.) it still has a flat tire. So 45 minutes of intervals was a rude awakening. I can certainly feel my quads now...

K.G., one of my coworkers, came with me and is fired up for more. She's planning on getting into the tri scene this summer but is in sick shape already and hardly broke a sweat while holding a cadence about twice my pace. Holy cow this woman is strong. It'll be good to have someone else in tune with what I'm doing and to drag me out the door when I don't feel like it. She's like the energizer bunny. Excellent...

I also managed 10 minutes on the dreadmill afterward, something I'm trying really hard to do after any cycling. I've found that doing even 5 minutes of running after biking makes a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference in how my legs feel coming out of T2. Just this tiny amount of time helps my legs to accept the transition to different muscle groups and ELIMINATES calf cramps and that cement cinder blocks on your feet feeling. And it's nice to run when you're all warmed up too...feels pretty easy.

It's going to be COLD this weekend so I'm heading to the pool.

Train hard!!

Later...

4 Comments:

Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

I agree with you regarding that first spin class of the season! My first one this winter was a doozy! After the first standing climb, I thought I was going to pass out!! Tough.

I think I am going to try to squeeze in a quick run after my classes. That is a good idea. I need to work on my transition times for this season.

5:33 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger jameson said...

ahhhh the spin class. i love them. i am really training hard for xterra where it's pretty much "pedal to the medal" for the entire bike, so the spin classes are perfect. little to no rest, hot, humid, smelly, sweaty. wait... why do i like them.. oh yeah... i like suffering.

good call on the post spin run... i am just about to start adding those.

have a good week of training!

1:30 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger tri-mama said...

spinning-the class you love to hate-or is it hate to love. Spring is coming though-so, keep up the prep work.

11:49 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Sixteen Chickens said...

Every body needs a "K.G., one of my coworkers" in their life! Glad you have one! BTW, I loved watching your swimming videos, you go girl!

12:06 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home