Monday, March 27, 2006

SCY Championships, Final Meet Results



Wrapped up the meet on Sunday with an 18th (out of 46) place finish overall and a 13th (out of 40) place finish in New England!! We managed to pick off CT Masters after swapping 18th/19th place with them all day. They didn't have anyone entered in the final 200 Free relay so we capitalized there and got the points we needed to take 18th. It was so much fun but so exhausting. Don't let anyone ever tell you that swimming in not an endurance sport. By the end of the second day (third day for four of us) it was like the last few miles of the run in triathlon. I'm SO sore today...everywhere. Amazing what a little adrenaline will do for you. Here are the official results (we're CCB Masters) if you want to take a look:

Combined Team Scores - New England Masters

Our 7 women took 10th place out of 34 teams so we were very psyched to capture a top ten spot. Coach won just about every event in her age group and Mary was pretty much at the top in all of her backstroke events. The rest of us managed to contribute points here and there and the relays definitely helped our standing. Look here for women's results.

Together Nick and John, our only men, captured 18th place out of 33 teams...both are in really tough age groups and there were only two of them so we were all very impressed and grateful that they swam so well. It was really great to see Nick, aka Weasel Boy... he's settling in nicely in Belfast but hopes to make it back to visit again soon. I really miss my faithful training partner. Here are their results.

We were able to record just about every race with Karen's sweet camera - I've uploaded these two for you viewing enjoyment but if you're on a dial up connection beware that they are pretty big files. Some of the shorter races are harder to see and don't really have a whole lot of value in terms of watching good or bad technique so I haven't posted those...it was hard to get close enough to really see what strokes looked like. If you want to see a particular race let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Here is my epic 200 IM race - I'm in the yellow cap, dark suit, in the second lane from the wall at the bottom of the frame. I survived but I think it was just about the hardest thing I've ever done in my young swimming career. The fly went well - much better than I anticipated actually - but by the time I got to the second length of breast stroke I was DYING for air. Everything - every muscle, my lungs, all of it - was SCREAMING for oxygen... I was glad when it was over but I was struck by the same feeling I get when I cross a triathlon finish line.... "when can I do it again because I KNOW I can get better at it." I finished in 3:41. I'm no longer afraid...just fired up to do it better. Next time.



And here is the 200 women's medley relay - middle of the frame, yellow caps. Cynthia led off with the backstroke and at 76 years of age, she kept up with the others in our heat who were all at least 20 years younger than she. She did GREAT, as you'll see. Then Karen smoked the breast stroke lengths. But my favorite part is when Milkshake Girl takes off for the fly lengths - take a look at where the swimmer in the lane to her left is when she leaves the blocks...by the time she's back at the wall, she's caught up almost an entire half length...then I finished off with the freestyle lengths and we won the heat!! It's so much fun swimming relays... At this meet, your relay is grouped based on the youngest swimmer of the 4 so we were in the 25+ age group...and had 28, 33, 44, and 76 year olds...so we were ultimately last in our age group but you still get a lot of points for last place relays so every little bit helped!!! It was a BLAST.



I'll have more to share but this is all I can manage right now. Hope you all had a great weekend and were able to spend some time outside. Spring is on the way!!!!

Train hard...



The Team

13 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Wow!! Very impressive! That 200 IM does indeed look like a killer!!!! I'll try it, one day.... you're inspiring me!!

1:22 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger :) said...

Awesome meet Holly! Way to go.

1:48 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Scott said...

Awesome vids. I can't wait to hit the pool tomorrow morning.

7:15 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger BuckeyeRunner said...

Wow! Great meet! Thanks for sharing the videos - exciting stuff. Congratulations!

8:32 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger jameson said...

the videos are killer... good job at the meet... makes me want to start with masters team... you made it sould like a lot of fun...

11:30 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

good job on the IM. I thought for sure you were gonna catch that girl on the free! Fly and breast are tough! You did great!

3:05 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger tri-mama said...

Way to go Spence! A 3:41 IM is incredible in my book. Look at all those PR's Most of all it sounds like you had a lot of fun-very cool.

6:25 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

WOW! That is AWESOME!!!! The vids are soooooooooo cool!!!

And man, I will def. watch out for potholes, BTW...thanks for the warning and that race report!

3:41 IM!!! I am in awe. :) I think it would take me that time to do the 50 Fly...

9:18 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Phil said...

Hi! Nice videos. That IM looked tough. I was exhausted just watching it. The relay was awesome. Nice job on the home-stretch.

9:28 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Tracy said...

Way to kick some ass out there!!!!

8:51 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Joe said...

Hi Spence,

I just found your blog today by searching on "masters swim meet". I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I find another masters swimmer's blog, although, I guess you are officially a triathlete and not just a masters swimmer. Nevertheless I'll put your blog in my "swimming" blogroll (I don't have a triathlon blogroll yet but I do have a running blogroll).

Which events did you enter? How were your times? Were you pleased with your results?

11:59 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Hey Joe! Glad to have you along for the ride!! Grab a bike and you'll be part of the tri-blogroll today!!! Swimming is still the best though!!

12:18 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Chris said...

Man, I'm totally loving your video clips from your meets. They bring back all sorts of swimming memories from times past. Nice job on your swims! :)

10:16 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home