Thursday, May 04, 2006

2006 Race Schedule

OK, I think I've got it figured out. Here's the plan...


Sunday, June 4th: Covered Bridges Half Marathon

Last year it rained for ALL. OF. MAY. The entire month. And the temperature hovered around 45˚F. Great running weather. WELL, you can imagine the surprise all of us faced on race day with a 10 am start at 85˚F and about 90% humidity. At least 12 people went to the hospital with heat exhaustion - the background music for the race was ambulance sirens. I finished but at around mile 6 it became a race of survival - no longer a race at all. Official finishing time was 2:54:23... I was hoping to hold 12 minute miles but that plan was scrapped at the mile 6 survival realization. I'd like to break 2:30, which sounds like a big jump from last year - but I think it's doable as it was my goal last year. I'm just hoping for a little cooler weather...and if all else fails, I'd just like to beat last year's time. Running has always been the hardest of the three sports for me. I make sure to get this one on the calendar early so that I'm sufficiently terrified and put in the running miles to prepare. Otherwise, it's too easy to just hop on my bike and skip the run training...


Sunday, June 18th: Vermont Sun Sprint Triathlon

I try to do one of these races every year - there are usually 3 sprints but this year there are only 2. This is the first race I ever did...my times aren't all that much different from that first year but each year it feels better. It's a really small race and very low key - lots of fun and supportive people and many racers from my swim team do this one. It's a great warmup for my first "A" race....which is ....


Sunday, July 9th: The Great Fairlee Triathlon

This will be my third showing but only my second finish. Last year was the lame ass bike crash...this year will be all about focus and mental preparedness. I feel like I've got a good jump on things so far - two more months should complete the solid foundation. It helps that I train on the course every day I'm not in the pool. One more week and I should be able to tolerate the lake. Global warming is my new best friend.


Saturday, August 5th: Shelburne Athletic Club Sprint Triathlon

Never done one of this series before but it fits timing wise so I'm trying to find out more. I think they're pretty low key races - kind of like the VT Sun races but we'll have to see. I've had a hard time finding anything going on between July 22nd and August 10th...that I don't have to fly or travel overnight to. Maybe organizers think that it's just too hot during these weeks? Dunno...

And my second "A" race, the longest distance I've ever gone...



Sunday, August 27th: The Cranberry Country Triathlon
I'll stay at Mom's for this one and it'll hopefully be the first weekend of my summer vacation - the one week that I get off this year. I wanted to do another longer race in an effort to prepare myself for the Half Ironman Goal of 2007. This one got rave reviews, plus the bike course is relatively flat so I figure that plays to my and Amelia's strengths. Hopefully most of the summer's training on hills will have me hauling on the flats in So. Mass. I like doing races where I've never seen the course and don't know anyone racing. Something about feeling like I'm totally on my own gives me a thrill...

I was thinking I'd also throw in the Timberman Sprint Tri on August 19th but I was also thinking that might be too close to the Cranberry Tri and I didn't want to jeopardize my A race. Timberman was a BLAST last summer - REALLY fun race and crowd. My sights are set on the Timberman Half Iron race in 2007 - my first half distance...so I guess it can wait until next year. I'd love to know what people think about the timing...could it be just another long training day one week before my A olympic race? or would that be pushing it? I'd have to decide in the next two months as it usually fills long before race day...

Then I'll round out the fall with the Leaf Peepers Half Marathon on October 1st. There is a possibility that I could join a Reach the Beach relay team on the weekend of September 15/16 but that will be a last minute deal... it's kind of a gruelling race so I'll do it if my coach's team ends up in a pickle with one too few runners (the hardest part about this race is getting 12 people to the starting line!!)

That wraps it up!! I'm feeling really excited about finalizing all of this. It's a lighter schedule than I'd like but I think I need to focus on LSD and really make my A races quality races and spend more time training and less time racing. The sprints are more for fun and practice...I'm excited to see how I fare in the longer distances...I feel like I may be better suited to them all around.

Stay tuned for how it unfolds!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Looks like a FUN season!!!! Excited to hear how it goes!

7:37 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger jameson said...

your summer sounds fun. no xterras?

11:46 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Joe said...

> It's a lighter schedule than I'd like

Really? Wow, you must have some kind of crazy recovery ability. I was looking at the first three dates -- June 4th, June 18th and July 9th -- and I thought "Wow, pretty close together!"

You go girl!

2:37 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Bolder said...

sah-wheet schedule!

10:40 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home