Monday, June 19, 2006

Tri-Blogger Training Day!!

On Saturday I got to meet and train with a tri-blogger for the first time!!! It was AMAZING!!! TriZilla and her fantastic training partner Jo (who will have a blog soon, I'm sure of it...I'm thinkin' perhaps rocketpants.blogspot.com) made the two hour trek up to Fairlee to check out the course for the Great Fairlee Triathon. We had a BLAST!!

Let me first just say that I was a little bit nervous to meet them... I think other tri-bloggers have mentioned this...it's funny how we get this really good idea about who/how someone is from their blog but meeting them is a very surreal experience... you know that you've never met and yet you know all these things about them and feel like you know them... it's weird. Needless to say, after about the first nano-second I was no longer nervous and we just had a great time. It was totally comfortable and fun and I would highly recommend meeting up with other tri-bloggers even if you're worried it will be weird. It IS weird, but only for a minute.

So knowing I had a race on Sunday, they had agreed that we should ride the bike course super slow and take our time so as not to drain my legs of what little rest they'd accumulated... Weasel Boy had given me the ok for this as long as I took it easy... we started off with a quick tour of Fairlee and checked out the parking areas for the race and then transition. I love showing off my playground and being a tour guide and these gals were the best ...taking it all in and so appreciative about it all. Then we set off on the course, chit chatting along the way...

It was supposed to be 86˚F, hazy hot and humid but I don' t think it got above 75˚F and it was pretty much overcast...totally perfect and cool riding weather. We had a great ride (read TriZilla's account here) and I managed to keep my legs nice and loose without pushing too hard. I really struggle on the hills with only two big chain rings on the front of Amelia... but I also struggle with the concept of losing that top gearing on the flats if I were to switch to three rings. More on that later...

After the bike, I opted out of the run to continue to preserve my legs... T and Jo were gone for maybe 20 minutes and then we "transitioned" to our swim. You should have seen the car these guys had going... the back seat was a foot deep in tri gear... it was a classic case of "you know you're a triathlete when..." Totally great. We discussed taking the back seat out and it sounds like that's the plan for future races... awesome. ;) Then when we got in my car, the banana peel and empty gatorade bottles on the floor gave me away... yes, I too am a triathlete. Heh...

We did a short swim to get a feel for the lake bottom, to experience the area with Eurasian Milfoil (not all that much fun) and take a look at the transition area from the water. The water was pretty cool but it felt good after the ride... quite refreshing actually.

We capped it off with a trip to the unusually crowded market/deli across the street for sandwiches and gobbled them on the cool shady front porch. It was a day to remember.

So now I'm even MORE fired up for our race, knowing that I'll have two additional friendly faces out there on the course with me come race day. How lucky are we to have all found each other on this world wide web?

Pretty lucky, I'd say. Train hard!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

Ooooh! A pre-race teaser!!! Sounds like a great time!!

10:19 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Steven said...

Sounds like you had a ton o' fun! I can't wait for you to race so I can read your next race report.

10:55 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger tri-mama said...

A 6 minute PR-that's awesome! and meeting a fellow tri blogger-that's so much fun. looking for the race report...

11:50 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home