Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Training, training, training....

Things are going fine on the training front. Been having some really amazing runs lately...the bike is going ok but I've had a rash of flat tires (the curse has set in - is it because I'm not blogging enough, Flat??) so I'm in a temporary holding pattern on the bike...will be getting a new rim strip TODAY along with a handful of new tubes. Oy. At least I'm getting a lot of practice changing them...

Yesterday's run was some steady state work. Weasel Boy is helping me to find a race pace that's considerably faster than my previous pace...I basically build to about 75-78% of my max HR and hold it there for 8 minutes while maintaining the best, most relaxed running form I can muster. Then 4 minutes of walking, stretching, dynamic stretching, rinse and repeat a total of 3 times. So in the end I've done essentially 24 minutes of running at a pace that's getting increasingly faster and increasingly more comfortable at the same HR. Last evening was cool and breezy with beautiful sunshine...felt like fall is on the way. I still had sweat pouring off my face and into my eyes but the lack of humidity was a nice change. Almost felt effortless. I'm really enjoying how my body is responding to my workouts lately. Things feel really good.

2 and a half more weeks until my "A" race, the Cranberry Country Triathlon. I'm looking forward to a fast swim, a flat and fast bike (Amelia is going to LOVE the ride) and a nice steady paced run. I hope it's not too hot but at least I know I can handle the hot and humidity as I've been training in it now for WEEKS. I know in the winter I complain about the cold...but truly, I'm about ready for the UBER hot to be done...

Hope everyone is doing well and training hard. I'm going to at least post workouts from this point forward, seeing as I seem to have little else to ruminate on right now. Thanks to everyone for checking in!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

TWO WEEKS since your last post????

(nice job on the running though) :)

I had a flat last weekend too...

8:26 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Bolder said...

two weeks! not acceptable. and, after two weeks, toooo much talk about flatting.

i thought about you yesterday, i had one of the best masters classes ever. it's all coming together in the swim.

good to hear all is well! i was starting to wonder if bloglines was failing me again...

8:36 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger TriZilla said...

She LIVES!!!

2 weeks, though. Ugh. You've been missed!

Sounds like you're getting some really key workouts in there... Way to GO! You are SO going to ROCK the Cranberry. :)

10:41 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Barb said...

Glad the running workouts are going well! Hope the weather continues to cool. I'm very over this heat also! Gads! August is only just begun! That's the hottest month by far! I've got my fingers crossed that it's the coolest on record! (for both of us!)

And yes... the flat tires ARE from a lack of blogging! :-)

9:06 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger JC said...

Glad to see you are still in the game Spence. I've missed reading your entries for additional tips and enthusiasm, so get back to posting regularly soon, aight?

8:21 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

hope you get rid of all those flats! I have only had one so far, crazy! well I guess two if you count the crash, but I didn't ride after that ;)

9:05 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Cliff said...

Flats on training better flats on race days :)

10:49 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger christine said...

thanks for sharing the dynamic stretching link...good stuff!
i'm so over this heat too!

9:22 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Scott said...

Hey Spence. Sounds like things are going well. Keep it up - so close to your A race.

Speaking of flats ... my whole life has a flat ... lol

8:39 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Joe said...

> I've had a rash of flat tires

Count your blessings. I had three tire punctures on my CAR in a space of 6 weeks. Oh vey!

12:26 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Bolder said...

thinking of you.

4:47 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Spence,
Just checking in to see how you're doing, how you're race went, and all that stuff. Hope you write again soon!

5:24 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home