Monday, October 16, 2006

New Favorite Toy



I just renewed my gym membership at the beginning of October - I don't go to (translate "pay for") the gym during the summer when I can be outside and in my absence, my gym has acquired several Versa Discs, my new favorite toy!!!

It's just a funky looking inflated pancake that you can stand on with one or two feet and practice your balance. It's HARD at first while all the little tiny muscles in your ankles, knees and hips work overtime to tell you that you've been neglecting them. And in just three short (very short - like 5-10 mins) sessions, my balance is remarkably improved. Nice. (Note: one drawback is that the tiny muscles in my ankles are pretty sore so be sure you ease into this if you try it. I did 5-10 seconds balancing on one foot at a time. You can really feel it.)

So I've added this into my lifting routine twice a week. And to multi-task, I do these and these super cool shoulder exercises to work the ultra tiny muscles in my shoulders (these go a LONG way toward keeping your shoulders from feeling like hamburger) while balancing on the VersaDisc one foot at a time.

Loving the base-building off-season... What fun things are YOU going to incorporate into YOUR off-season?

8 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

cheeseburgers....bacon....milkshakes...

2:22 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Bolder said...

yoga!

oh, and what the flatman said.

2:48 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Yoga! And the tree pose is killin' me...working on my balance, too! I know what ya mean about all those little muscles in your ankles!

7:39 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Cliff said...

squash...and vball.

It is intersting..how much profanity i throw out when playing squash.

1:23 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger The Fool said...

Hey Spence,

I like that er, thing ya got there. Looks like a squished amoeba. or something really....well never mind.

Hands on the Bosu Ball. killer push-ups. One leg up. Lunges to build my skinny quads. (too much running, not enough biking......) Pull ups till my lats burn. (gotta get ready for paddle season too)

(Thanks BTW for the nice comment, at least I know someone is looking at my blog:-)

the fool

8:32 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Sascha said...

BEER! Oh, and weights and stuff.

12:28 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

a bike trainer, a foam roller, and maybe these balance thingies! anything that keeps me working but not freezin in the cold. plus, apparently i've been neglecting the teeny tiny muscles in my ankles and knees...for shame!

11:07 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger christine said...

lots of trail running, swimming and quilting!

9:43 PM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home