Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Good Base Always Wins

I went to the evening Masters swim practice tonight instead of the morning...there was drama last night that kept me up so I didn't make it out the door at 5:30. Anyway, there aren't as many triathletes at the evening group (go figure - we folk have such an affinity for ODark Thirty, don't we?) and in my lane, I was the ONLY triathlete. Well, it was a crazy IM practice (Individual Medley - lotsa fly, back, breast, free and it makes you super tired...) and not really knowing where I fit in the lane, I started out in the fourth position. After the first set I moved up to second position and was working hard to keep up with the lane leader. She was sticking to the rest intervals like nobody's business and they were tough sendoffs to make. But you know what? She started to fade about a half hour in. And I was still plugging right along - feeling the same as I had at the start. And by the end of the hour, she was doggin' it and I was leading the lane...

...and you know...it felt pretty good to know that all my other training has given me a great base and made me a true endurance athlete. Very cool.

Here's the practice if you're curious...

The shrink doubled my meds today. And the sun was shining all day. There's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home