Monday, January 15, 2007

Anyone for Some Solidarity?

So a great old friend of mine is becoming a Ranger at the Parks Law Enforcement Academy in Washington State. She posted this on her blog last Friday:

Today the Commander announced the results of our initial physical. By results, I mean that he calculated how much punishment we would get depending on how we did overall. He said it was an improvement from last year, but we have a lot of work to do. In order to pass the class, we are each being held accountable for:

8000 pushups over the next 57 class days and a yet to be determined # of situps (we will know Tues)

OMG! Yes, this is real. He explained that we have 9 breaks a day and should be able to do at least 20 a break for 6 of the breaks. We can also count those done in the gym. We CANNOT count those done at home or with someone outside of class. They have to be done in view of our arranged partner. There is an "Alysha's Pushups and Situps Notebook" that only my partner can write in. 8000. I cannot even get that figure out of my head. Situps are expected to be around 12,000. An improvement from last year?? Yeah, they had 14, 500 pushups. I guess we are in better shape. And I guess I will be a rock when I leave here.

In addition, we are, as a group, expected to improve by 20% in all areas we were tested in.

Excuse me while I go cry myself into pushup position! ha. I really am quite concerned. If anyone out there wants to do them with me, we can keep a running cyber-count. I am probably going to need a little extra motivation.


SO, if my calculator is right, that's about 140 pushups a day and 210 situps a day for the next 57 or so days (actually now it's down to 54 days...)

I'll sign on for 20 pushups and 50 situps a day for a grand total of 1080 pushups and 2700 situps over the next 54 days. It's all I can muster Lysh...

Anyone else care to join in the fun and see if YOU have what it takes to become a park ranger?? Let Lysh know if you're on board so she feels the love...

Train hard!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

OMG. I usually fall over after about 10 pushups on my knees. Are these tricep pushups or back pushups? I can do the situps though. Those are good for you and not nearly so hard!

10:25 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll sign up for 20 pushups and to situps. I've been needing to do those anyway, if my biceps tendon will hold up. Solidarity!

7:39 AM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say 50 situps. Coffee!

7:39 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger :) said...

Hmmm...let me think about it.... ;)

10:51 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Just catchin' up...holy swim, my friend! :) You're quite the shark!

Ouch...I'm just easing back into the weights and stuff, and I think that many pushups might darn near keel me over...or at least make me run from the gym.

Gimme a few weeks to whip my arse around a bit...right now I'm too wussy! ha ha

10:44 PM GMT-5

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, let me see how many pushups I can do in one day so I know where my starting point is (I'm guessing it's about 10) I can also do 50 situps a day.

1:24 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger E-Speed said...

wow. every time I think about how much I want to be a park ranger I will think of these mandatory push ups and be happy with my computer job!

4:33 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger The Fool said...

140 psuh-ups a Day? OK, that works out to about less than 10 per waking hour, 60 minutes carry the one mmmm.... thats one every five minutes! Piece of cake!

Seriously, one, tough, reg-a-ment....

I like it! (masochist?, maybe)

9:04 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home