Saturday, June 28, 2008

Atlantean Chains


I dreamed about racing last night. One of those disjointed race dreams where things start off well for the most part but then you realize you're wearing a life jacket in the swim and not only is it slowing down your perfect stroke but it's illegal...so you take it off and the guy swimming next to you puts it on and then HE'S CHEATING but you keep swimming because now he'll be slower and when you get to your bike, you have to get all your bike stuff on only your bike stuff has turned into gear for a Mt. Everest expedition so as you're adjusting your ski goggles you realize that your mountaineering boots have no cleats on them so won't fit your pedals. Anyone care to analyze this?

I'm realizing that the city is holding back my triathlon mojo. There are just too many excuses I can make...from traffic, to training partners, to heat, to thunder and lightning, to school work... and my visit home to New England reminded me how nice it is to just jump on my bike and go, no driving, lots of options for bike routes, lots of lakes and rivers and oceans to jump into afterward. I know the city is not an excuse. My old swim coach used to live in Manhattan and would carry her bike and bike trainer down 5 flights of stairs and set her trainer up between two parked cars with the front tire on the curb and ride EVERY DAY. There really is no GOOD excuse. But I've noticed that any excuse I can find seems to be good enough. I'm out of the tri habit.

MUST.CHANGE.THAT.

How do YOU talk yourself out of making excuses??

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I HAVE to set an appt. with someone for bike rides. It's hard for me to go out and get it done otherwise. Unless I bring bike to work with me, change there and then go wherever I'm riding. Then, I have no excuse to go home.

We have a weekly swim with tri club, and that's fun so I always know I'll go. Otherwise, I try to schedule swim in the morning to get it done with.

I am hopeless when it comes to running. I'm actually trying to stick to swim/run bricks just to make it happen.

2:07 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Hollyfish said...

Yeah, that needs to be the plan I think. Which tri club are you part of and where is the weekly swim?

Let's be running buddies! I'm hopeless too... although lately it's been the only thing that's "easy" with my schedule...

4:23 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger rocketpants said...

I feel your pain on the biking in the city. That has been the biggest adjustment for me, especially getting in mid-week bikes. I have been trying to schedule bike workouts to co-inside with tri club workouts so that I actually *go* to them. It is an adjustment though, and takes some getting used to.

3:40 PM GMT-5

 
Blogger Lauren Starks said...

Bike: I love my trainer. LOL. Actually, I've been invited to ride with the "Diva Riding Crew" on Thursday nights. That's out in my end of town (Atlanta Motor Speedway). I keep saying I'm going to come ride with Sarah, but we never manage to coordinate.

Swimming: I can get that done. Gym pool and neighborhood make mostly convenient.

Running: I slack here a lot (which is evident by my pokiness.)

Excuses: I've got a zillion of them. Kids, Work, Long Commute... I just do what I can when I can

7:06 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home