Sunday, June 28, 2009

Got my swim on


My swim times are coming back and it makes me HAPPY!

Today we swam this set twice through for the main set:

200 pull with paddles
4x25 IM order, :30 sendoff (had a hard time making the breaststroke leg)
4x100 on a 1:45

I can feel my pull getting stronger and it was nice to have some stroke work thrown in disguised as an "easier" set. When coach told us to swim the 100s on a 1:45 I kinda gulped because I've been swimming consistent 1:37-1:47 ish 100s and when he said 10-15 seconds rest, I was thinkin...no way, I'm going to be getting 3-5 seconds rest on a 1:45. I asked if 1:50 was a better interval for me and he suggested I just try 1:45, see how it goes. Ok.

Low and behold, swimming 3x/week for the month of June has put money in the swim bank...it's amazing what a little focus will do! I swam all the 100s on a 1:30-1:35 without too much trouble...it was challenging but not so hard that my stroke fell apart...and 10 seconds rest was just enough. SWEET.

Then to finish we swam on a :30:

8x25 with fins and paddles (fast!)
8x25 with just fins
8x25 swim

This was a FUN set...and actually pretty amazing to see that we weren't that much slower swimming than we were with the equipment... really only about a 5 second difference. I love that the tiniest little adjustments make you FEEL that much faster.

The best thing about getting back into Masters swim is that it's been EASY. I was so worried that the 4 years I spent in VT training my body to wake up early early 2x/week to get to the pool would be wasted after 2 years of messed up grad school sleep schedules...that I'd have to start over...but it's been really easy to slide right back into the routine and I don't have to drag myself out of bed because I wake up WANTING to go and feel like I've totally missed the bus if I don't. PHEW. Looks like Triathlete Girl is still in there.

What a relief!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Yay!! Good job Holl! You are supah fast!

10:42 AM GMT-5

 
Blogger Lauren Starks said...

Yay! You're back to tri's and blogging!

11:18 AM GMT-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home